September 1999 Hearing Review Special Issue
By Elliott H. Berger, MS
Commentary on how current labeling of NRRs may overstate the effectiveness of ear protection and discussion on a new proposed standard, the NRR(SF).
This article was published prior to the establishment of The Hearing Review website. To view the article in a PDF, please click here.
Search the Hearing Review archives for other articles in this special edition…
SPECIAL ISSUE: OCCUPATIONAL HEARING CONSERVATION
Maurice H. Miller, PhD, Guest editor, September 1999 Hearing Review
- Occupational Hearing Conservation: Unique Challenges and Opportunities, By Maurice Miller, PhD, Guest Editor. An introduction to some of the most pressing issues in occupational hearing conservation (OHC) and testing and the unique opportunities the field holds.
- Historical Highlights in the Evolution of National Standards for Occupational Safety and Health, By John Franks, PhD. A retrospective look at legislation and standards relative to OHC.
- How Can We Evaluate the Effectiveness of Occupational Hearing Conservation Programs? By Julia Doswell Royster, PhD, and Larry H. Royster, PhD. The available ways in which to assess the effectiveness of OHC programs with particular emphasis on audiometric database analysis (ADBA).
- Understanding Noise Exposure Measurements. By John J. Earshen, PhD. A practical discussion on noise exposure measurements, the capabilities of contemporary measuring instruments, procedures, ad precautions.
- Engineering Controls for Noise Abatement. By John Erdreich, PhD. Methods used by occupational hearing conservationists to help businesses quiet their workplace and provide safer working environments for employees.
- Allocation Among Causes: The Concept, Its Pros and Cons. By David Lipscomb, PhD. How do courts determine what hearing loss came from the work environment and what part came from other factors. A commentary on current methods.
- So How Do You Like Your NRRs: Realistic or Sunny Side Up? By Elliott H. Berger, MS. Commentary on how current labeling of NRRs may overstate the effectiveness of ear protection and discussion on a new proposed standard, the NRR(SF).
- Managing Occupational Hearing Conservation Data. By George Cooke, MEd. Software and computer requirements for running an occupational hearing conservation program.