Northridge, Calif — A deaf man takes a chance on a risky surgery in hopes of hearing for the first time in his life in the award-winning documentary From Silence To Sound from Brooklyn Girl Productions, which screened for a limited engagement last week at the American Film Market (AFM), in Santa Monica, Calif.
From Silence To Sound documents the life-changing journey of Justin Garrett, a man profoundly deaf since birth, who undergoes bilateral cochlear implantation in Oklahoma in 2006. Prior to the surgery, Justin had less than 2% hearing in both ears. Today he has nearly 98% hearing delivered via his Nucleus cochlear implants made by Cochlear. Director Chase Matthews follows Garrett as he prepares for, submits to, and recovers from the high-stakes surgery.
Awards & Accolades:
- Winner — Best Inspirational Documentary (New York International Independent Film & Video Festival)
- Winner — Best North American Documentary (International Film Festival Egypt)
- Winner — Best Documentary USA (Everglades International Film Festival)
- Nominee — Best Documentary (Trail Dance Film Festival)
- Nominee — Best Documentary (International Film Festival South Africa)