Consumers are invited to HLAA2017, a communication-accessible educational program and trade show for people with hearing loss, hosted by the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA), the organization announced. Real-time captions and hearing loop technology will be in use in all workshops and plenary sessions at the Calvin L. Rampton Salt Palace Convention Center and host hotel, Little America.
In a pre-convention statement, HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelley said, “The HLAA Convention is an event many people look forward to each year—from people with hearing loss, to companies and sponsors who want to showcase their products, to presenters who have the latest to share on hearing loss. We all come together where everyone can ‘hear’ and realize there is hope to living well with hearing loss.”
Highlights of the event include:
- Opening Session keynote address by US Army veteran Shilo Harris; sponsored by CTA Foundation
- Research Symposium – Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants: Merging Technologies, Expanding Benefits, moderated by Colin L. Driscoll, MD, chair, otorhinolaryngology (ENT), Mayo Clinic (MN); board of directors chair, American Cochlear Implant Alliance (ACI Alliance); sponsored by the ACI Alliance
- Educational workshops on relevant topics such as hearing loops, cochlear implants, hearing aids, tinnitus, and over-the-counter hearing aids. Five tracks of workshops (four sponsored by Advanced Bionics and Phonak AG, and one track sponsored by Listen Technologies) will use the latest captioning technology, 1Fuzion by 1CapApp
- Exhibit Hall full of the latest technology and services; complimentary Exhibit Hall passes are available; the Exhibit Hall will also include a Family Search Room sponsored by Sprint Accessibility where attendees can research their ancestry.
- Mobile Convention App sponsored by CTIA–The Wireless Association®
- Get Acquainted Party on opening night sponsored by Presenting Sponsor, CaptionCall
- HLAA Stars Come Out Award Ceremony and Talent Show will honor volunteers and others across the country, sponsored by CapTel Captioned Telephone
- Saturday evening dinner theater, Huh? Life with a Cranky Cochlea performed by comedienne and hearing loss advocate Gael Hannan; sponsored by Contacta
- HLAA attendees will have the opportunity to attend Music and the Spoken Word performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir at the LDS Conference Center in a section of seating with a hearing loop
- Complimentary registration for veterans and their caregivers attending for the first time
- Delta Air Lines is the official Convention airline with discounted fares
Advanced registration is open through May 31 after which registration is welcome on-site at the Salt Palace Convention Center located at 100 SW Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah. Visit the Convention page to find registration information, schedule-at-a-glance, workshop descriptions, and more.
Image: HLAA Convention website